302 South Main Street
The Auburn Hotel was originally constructed around 1880 and was known as the Swineford House. The hotel was a landmark and social center for 19th century Auburn, hosting elaborate dinners and social gatherings, and was a hub of commerce as traveling salesmen visiting the community came and went from what was considered the most prominent lodging facility in the city. The Swineford family continued to operate the hotel well into the early 20th century.
By 1922, the hotel had been acquired by Donald Foust who had operated the facility as its manager. Auburn’s growth as an industrial center fueled by the auto industry demanded the community have a suitable and modern hotel as part of the city’s profile. With the support of the Auburn Chamber of Commerce, the old Swineford Hotel underwent a $200,000 renovation and transformation that gave the building its Art Deco inspired appearance seen today. Foust would also go on to expand the hotel along 9th Street to the west that included a private apartment for the Foust family. The Auburn Hotel served as the temporary home for several of Auburn Automobile’s famed designers and engineers while working for the company including Alan Leamy. With the inception of the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Festival in 1956, Don Foust was also one of the few supporters of the idea initiated by the late Delmar Johnson. The hotel remains a favorite spot for classic car enthusiasts to stay during the Labor Day Weekend event, and was listed to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.